Consequently, when we look at Vikings and the Old Norsemen Mythology, should we be so surprised to find a tale of the End of the World among them? Well, no! However, a close examination of their saga of the End Times reveals some very startling and surprising things. So, come along with us, as we take a closer look.
Well, some of that, is in its name. RaGNaRoK (pronounced? as R@G-Nah-RawK - with the @ as we hear in back) is held to be the Doom of the gods or perhaps the Twlight of the gods. It has also been suggested that it is Regnerak or ReGNeRawRK implying the un-reigning of the gods. So, clearly, this is refering to a time when the Norse gods will be done away with. (Or, were they, already?)
Now, while the general populace delights in fantasy, and does not care if such an even tever really took place or not, Viking Historians have been wondering if the tale does not have some historical truth to it. And unfortunately, most myths do incorporate a certain amount of TRUTH in them. But, the problem is unravelling what is real, from what is just hot air! So, is there, indeed, any TRUTH to this Viking Folktale?
Even more intriguing, for Theologians, some view this Norse Mythology as a vision of the End Times. For, Bible Scholars have been noting lots of Prophecies, recently, that point to an imminent destruction of Our World! And, a destruction scenario that all too closely matches what the Northmen claimed!
So, what do we have here? Historical facts? Or, future prophecy? Or, BOTH?
So, did he destroy the Norse gods?
Now, Ivar was a Goth or GahTSK, so along with his Judeo-Christian (Messianic) beliefs, he seems to have sparked something of a REVIVAL in his time. And, with that REVIVAL came a Call to purge his lands of Idols and Idolaters.
Now, Norse mythology holds that the world is locked in a battle between good and evil. But, who can tell the good guys in the white hats, from the bad guys with black ones? Typically, the Pagans insist that the Norse gods are good, while Loki, the Gray Wolf, is held as the demon of evil. (But, then, a close look, will show the Norse gods aren't so pure and holy! So, what is the real color of their hat?)
And, even more curious, to this story, the emblem that Ivar used as his sign was that of the GRAY WOLF, supposedly from the Tribe of Benjamin (Genesis 49:27)--out of respect for King Saul, one of the ruling Dynasties of Israel. So, was Ivar the evil Gray Wolf of the Ragnarok Story? And, did he destroy the Norse gods, and force them into a Twlight? That would seem to fit, historically, with his Purge of Idols. (For details on this Scriptural Purge of Idols, see IDOLOCLASTIC CALL.)
1. The Norse gods will come to set up a Kingdom at the center of the Earth (Middle East?), that will be (or was) called Asgard or OusGaRahDT (or Osgard), meaning the Garden of the gods. (For more details on this mythical(?) Garden, see WHY DID ASGARD BURN.) This reign will come to control Man and the humans, who live, by this view, in Midgardt or the Middle Garden (Earth?). This strangely parallels the rise of the Kingdom of the Beast and the anti-Christ, which many Believe5rs are looking to occur, soon (1 Thessalonians 2:2-9 and Revelation 13:1-8)!
2. Then will come a great 3-Year Winter, which seems to also match the time of trials and troubles for Believers (Revelation 13:5). For, this parallels the Great Persecution upon Believers, that will be brought about by the False-Prophet (Matthew 24:9-12 and Revelation 13:11-18). And the image of Winter (and no harvests) may go along with the view that Believers will not be allowed to buy and sell to get food during this time (unless they take the mark of the Beast).
3. Next, will come 3-Years of Natural Disasters: plagues, environmental pollution, earthquakes, and a GREAT TIDAL WAVE (where the Great Serpent of the Ocean is suppose to rise up, and engulf the Land). This seems to match the time of Great Tribulation, when the wrath of God will be poured out on disobedient Mankind (Matthew 24:20-22 and Revelations 16:1-21). And many Plagues will be loosed by God upon the rebellious, much as they were upon Egypt in the Exodus!
4. Following this, will come a Great Cosmic Collapse, as the giants of Utgard or UTiGaRDT, meaning the Outer Garden (Heaven?) will come and invade the lands of the Norse gods. This seems to correspond to the Heavenly Signs of the Scriptures: Sun and Moon to darken, and the Stars to fall from the sky--as the whole Universe is rolled together, like a scroll (Isaiah 34:4 Matthew 24:29 and Revelations 6:12-17).
5. Then, comes the Giant Gray Wolf, sometimes called Loki. Or, is this the symbol of Ivar? Yes, most likely, it is Ivar that fore-shadowed the coming of a GREAT KING or Messiah! (Or was the emblem originallu a White Lion, like Aslan?) In any case, this Giant, and his followers, come and assault Asgard or OuSGaRahDT. At this LAST BATTLE (Armageddon?), the Norse gods will be defeated and destroyed--and the city of the gods wiped out in a GREAT FIRE! This sounds awfully close to the Second Coming of Christ, with Ivar, as the Great King fore-shadowing Y'Shua or Jesus' Return (Matthew 24:29-31 and Revelation 19:19-21 & 20:7-10).
6. Next, the Giants will make revenge and retribution on evil doers, as they punish the wicked and slay the followers of the Norse gods. And this seems to match the Great Day of Judgment by God, where the wicked will be brought before HIM, and sentenced according to their deeds (Matthew 25:31-46 and Revelation 20:11-15).
7. Finally, the Giants make a new world, with a NEW GARDEN, which has a Tree of Life, that the survivors of Mankind may eat from, and live forever! And this amazingly seems to parallel the New Heaven and New Earth, and the New Jerusalem, of the Bible Prophecies (Revelation 21:1, 2-11; and 22:1-5).
THEREFORE, while a type of Ragnarok may have occured in the reign of Ivar Vidfadmi, this was a fore-shadowing of the Future event of the End of the World, when Christ shall return, and set all things right!
Yet, modern minds may try to ignore the coming End of the World. And for that matter, even the existence of God!
However, consider this: if God created the whole Universe by HIS Command, then certainly as HIS Word, HE came bring it all to an END, as well! Nor is this groundless speculation! For it is written:
Thus, as HE was the one that created it, so too can HE also destroy it, as it were, in an instant, as it is written:
For God's existence (and HIS Power and Glory) are manifest, and clearly evident from the design, scientific laws, and symmetry of the Universe! (Yeah, doesn't a fancy watch mean that there had to be a good watchmaker?) So, without question, THERE IS A GOD!
Thus, all humans are trapped in sin, and by it, to slavery to serving the Devil! So, whether you like it or not, you are bound in spiritual chains, and being carried off to that Great Future Fire of destruction!
However, there is a remedy (if you are willing to take it), for it is also written:
Thus, with an appropriate animal blood sacrifice, there could be an atonement for sin. (And this is what the Jews did with the Temple for centuries.) But, that was only temporary--and required an annual sacrifice.
Consequently, someone had to die, and shed their blood, to atone or pay for YOUR sins--to make a PERMENANT ATONEMENT! Now, who would do that? (And what would you have to give them?)
Well, you don't have to! For, God took care of it, even as it is written:
And to grasp the whole program that HE intended in doing that, consider:
Now, this is the Gospel or Good News: that Christ died on the Cross to PERMENANTLY pay for YOUR sins. Yes, HE shed his own precious blood, dying in YOUR place--as your own death, by proxy! Thus, through Belief in HIM, you are saved from the coming END OF THE WORLD! But, only if you will turn to HIM!
OKAY! How do I choose to follow God?
Actually it is very simple. Just say the following prayer out loud (so God will know that you agree to it). It forms a kind of Covenant or Mediavel Social Contract between you and God. You are to serve HIM and HE is to take you to Heaven in your afterlife. So, just repeat this, aloud:
E-Mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org - (Mark subject box RAGNAROK END!)
Or use the normal routes, below:
Phone: (509) 493-1674
So, don't stay out there. Come on in! Get involved in our Fellowship. (Don't be lonely any more!)
In fact, why don't you come on in and take Our Revival Course? It will help you follow the other Vikings in their Renewal to God. And, it gives you all the basic steps and information that you need to bring about the Revival of God in your life.
Okay, perhaps you need a little time to think things over. Or, maybe you just need some more facts, to understand what all the real issues are. So, take the time and read through some of our other materials. Then, once you have all the facts, perhaps you can make a better decision.
To help you understand this process of going to Heaven for your afterlife, we have written a more detailed article on the whole Regeneration Concept. This is filed away with the rest of Our Northmen basic teachings.
And, while you are making up your mind, perhaps you would like to know more about us. After all, it does help to have all the basic facts when you are trying to make up you mind. So, if you are curious, then look over the rest of what we have to say. Let the VIKING REVIVAL win you over to God's side!
*COPYRIGHT 1996, 2003 (Net) by Daniel Shaddox.
All rights reserved.
TRADENAMES: Ahqo, Appiru, Astaria, Emuspatel, Gahtsk, K.R.Y. or Korey, KUFOL, Meshianites, Nartan, Nordanity, Nordesel, TAD, and ZDK are all trademarks of Daniel Shaddox.
GRAPHICS: All SHIELDS (and other heraldric devises), buttons, and artworks in this Web Site are all also copyrighted logos of Daniel Shaddox.
None of these (nor any Articles from this Web Site) may be reproduced nor duplicated without written permission, except as downloads for your own individual (personal) reading OR as recognized agents of ZDK (be sure your activities with others using our materials are properly registered with us!).
Most materials filed in this Web are G (for General Audiances). Some materials filed in the Library or University may be PG or even PG-13, mainly because of intellectual and philosophical content. (These should be marked as you get to them.)
PUBLISHED BY LAMPSTAND MEDIA
The Media Division of the ZDK (Shaddox) Foundation, P.O. Box 44, Underwood, WA 98651 U.S.A.
Phone: (509) 493-1674
E-Mail us at: email@example.com
Dated: Mar '96 . . . Up-dated 03-21-03